Fieldwork Journal

week 1 (Oct.11th and 12th)

I went to the senior care center for fieldwork. I went to Brocklehlust Gemstone Care Centre. This week was first week for fieldwork, so I was so nervous. First, we looked around the senior care center. The staff member introduced many rooms there, so it wa hard to remember where the room was. All staff members in senior care center was so kind, so I was so relieved. After looking around the center, I exercised with residents. It was a good exercise, but it was a littile tired for me.

After lunch, we prepared BINGO game and played it with residents. It was very fun, but it was difficult to understand speaking English by residents. I will work hard tomorrow!

In second day, I was a little late because my bus did not come. I was in a hurry. When I went to the center, I met the goat!!!!! I was so surprised. The staff member had goat, so she brought the goat to see it for residents. Residents looked happy when they touched goat. I was very glad because I could see their smiling face. After lunch, I joined tasting food which served for residents. This dish was so delicious!! I was very surprised, because I thought some dishes which eat by residents was not good taste before eating them. But it was soooo delicious!! I spent a good time in the senior care center.

week 2 (Oct.18th, 19th)

First day, I did exercise with residents and answered some quizes in the morning. I could communicate with residents for many times, so it was so fun! After lunch, we enjoyed BINGO game with residents. After BINGO, we painted nails for residents. I tried to communicate with residets more actively than last week fieldwork.

Second day, in the morning, I met two chickens!!!!! It was so fantastic for me. Residents touhed chikens. At first, I felt a little scary, but I could touch them. They were so cute birds!! But, Kanon looked scared for birds so the staff was worried about her. It was an exciting experiences for me.

Week 6

We celebrated a bithday for two residents! In this day, Cherie came to our senior care center! I was so glad to meet with her. We sang a birthday song to residents. When we went to one of resident’s room, she was very surprised! Actually, the resident is so friendly with us so I was glad to celebrate for her. Finally she was crying because she was so glad to be celebrated, I love gemstone care center residents. I was sad to finish this fieldwork next week. After lunch, we made a name card by using Japanese name for residents. When we gave cards for residents, they looked so happy.

Week 7 (Nov.22nd, 23rd)

In this week, this is the last week. But we had a christmas lighting up caremony in TRU. So we have to finish fiedwork earlier than usual day. I enjoyed doing BINGO game with residents. When I started this fieldwork, I felt boring during doing BINGO game, but now I could talk with residents. I was glad to talk with a lot of residents. Next day, we did puzzles with residents. I could talk a lot of things. I thought tat I didn’t wat to go back Japan because I could not meet residents and staff. I had a memorable experience in my life there. I could not forget my memory in Gemstone, When I came to residents’ room to say goodbye and give them for thank you card, I was crying. I could tell appreciate for many pople. Thank you for the support by teacher in TRU.